Mr. St. Amand maintains a boutique real estate law practice, representing developers, title insurance companies, homebuilders and institutional and individual real estate owners, on a range of mixed-use, condominium and planned development matters. Prior to starting his own law practice, Mr. St. Amand maintained a similarly focused law practice at the Charlotte office of the global law firm of K&L Gates, LLP. Mixed-use projects and projects involving common ownership and associations present unique challenges. Such projects may be subject to state and federal statutes, regulations, and case law, not generally applicable to other forms of real estate development and ownership. Mr. St. Amand draws upon his big-firm experience, and upon his knowledge and familiarity with legal and business considerations that are uniquely applicable to mixed-use projects, condominiums and planned communities, to provide high quality legal representation at a great value to the client.
Mary Washington College – B.A.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – J.D. / M.R.P. (City and Regional Planning – Real Estate Development Concentration)
Recent Presentations and Publications
- ”Air Rights in Development: Current Trends and Legal Concerns” Presented at Lorman Nationwide Teleconference, Co-presentor with Brian Evans, April 19, 2010.
- ”Mixed Use Pitfalls,” Presented at ULI Annual Conference to Community Development Council, Miami, Florida, November, 2008 .
- ”Mixed Use Condominiums in North Carolina” presented at North Carolina Bar Association Conference, November 2007 .
- ”Secondary market for Mixed-Use Loans Face Struggle,” Charlotte Business Journal, Week of May 1 2009, Co-authored with Derek Winiewski.
Professional Affiliations and Certifications
LEED Accredited Professional (LEED-AP)
Home Builders Association of Charlotte
Urban Land Institute (former member – Programs Committee, Charlotte Chapter)
- Representation of a national homebuilder in the acquisition of the assets of one of its competitors (the real estate assets included roughly 1000 residential lots [including, developed lots, undeveloped lots, model homes, spec homes, and homes under-construction] and vacant land, in 20+ subdivisions in North and South Carolina, along with related entitlements and declarant and builder rights, and additional contract rights, all as applicable).
- Structuring sophisticated condominium projects (including projects containing land and air units), and planned developments, and dealing with subdivision and building code issues that arise in conjunction with such developments. Representative projects include:
- a mixed-use structured parking/retail condominium in Uptown Charlotte, NC;
- a 50+ story mixed-use tower in Uptown Charlotte, NC;
- a mixed-use office/retail/residential multi-building project on a redevelopment site in Midtown Charlotte, NC, where a master condominium/sub-condominium structure was utilized;
- a mixed-use parking/residential/office/retail project in Chapel Hill, NC, using a land condominium master structure;
- mixed-use (including residential) condominium projects in Raleigh and Durham, NC; and
- the conversion of a corporate headquarters building (comprised of separate sun-buildings) to condominium ownership.
- Representation of global institutional owner of units in an office/retail/hotel condominium tower in Uptown Charlotte relative to management of condominium and in condominium-related litigation.
- Representation of national title insurance company, reviewing, assessing and responding to claims, particularly those involving condominiums or planned communities.
- Representation of national and regional homebuilders in negotiating lot takedowns and vacant land acquisition, and in related matters including due diligence and acquisition of bank-owned real estate.
- Representation of developers (and assisting their consultants where applicable) in obtaining FNMA, Freddie Mac and/or FHA approvals for end-buyer financing relative to residential components of projects.
- Representation of residential and mixed-use condominium developers (and assisting sales staffs where applicable) in structuring and operating residential pre-sale and residential closing programs.
- Representation of residential subdivision and condominium developers in filing Statements of Record (and Amended) and Consolidated Statements of Record) to register with HUD under ILSA, or in complying with exemptions to registration.
- Representation of lenders in evaluating condominium and mixed-use collateral and analyzing foreclosure/forbearance options.